Conor McGregor has not yet revealed a date or opponent for his next professional fight, but he has indicated it will take place in the UFC.
In a video released by TMZ Sports on Saturday, McGregor, 29, said it will be “MMA next.” The UFC superstar was caught on camera in New York City.
The UFC is in the process of reworking McGregor’s contract. The promotion had hoped it could bring McGregor back as early as UFC 219 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, but that focus shifted last month to a 2018 return.
McGregor, of Dublin, Ireland, was in headlines last week after legendary Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao said he’d reached out regarding a potential boxing match in April.
UFC president Dana White quickly refuted those claims and even stated he’d sue Pacquiao and his representatives if they attempted to do so. Even though the UFC intends to offer McGregor a new deal, he is still under exclusive contract with the promotion.
When TMZ asked McGregor about boxing in general, he responded, “I think a true fight is what I want to do next … a real fight.”
He doubled down on that sentiment moments later when he was asked his thoughts on an appearance in professional wrestling.
“F— the WWE,” McGregor said.
McGregor (21-3) is a two-weight UFC champion and currently holds the lightweight title. He has not fought in the Octagon since November 2016, and he has never defended a UFC championship.
He made his professional boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather in August. Mayweather won the fight via TKO in the 10th round and later claimed he’d “carried” McGregor through the early rounds.
The event generated 4.3 million pay-per-view buys and more than $600 million in revenue, according to Showtime. McGregor has expressed interest in both boxing and mixed martial arts moving forward.
There are several potential opponents awaiting McGregor’s UFC return, including interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson, two-time rival Nate Diaz and even Georges St-Pierre, who recently vacated the UFC’s middleweight title.